Thursday, August 3, 2006

cupholders and coffee mugs: does it have to be so hard?

Ever since I have become a part of the working world, and have become addicted to Starbucks coffee, I have been in search for the perfect travel coffee mug. The qualifications for a perfect travel coffee mug are as follows:
  1. It must fit snuggly in the cupholder of my car.
  2. It must have a device which stops the coffee from spilling, even if tumps over in said cupholder (yes, I said "tump").
  3. It must keep coffee hot for at least 2 hours.
  4. It must be of a medium size. Not too much, not too little.
  5. It must have a handle (this is negotiable, but is definitely a preference).
  6. It must be relatively stylish.

Now, one might say, "That is too many qualifications. I mean, come on Amanda ... stop being so particular." That person is obviously not a coffee drinker, and has never arrived to work with a pool of coffee in either the cupholder or seat of their car. So they should shut their dirty mouth.

My last attempt at finding the perfect mug was a mug that I bought at Starbucks on sale. It met all qualifications except for number 3 & 5. It even said "Happy Chanukkah" on it, which I thought was clever, considering I'm not Jewish, and that I planned to carry it year-round. But the coffee not remaining hot has left the Happy Chanukkah cup lonely in the cupboard.

As I have probably mentioned before, my roommate works at Starbucks. I used to be more of a fan of local coffee shops ... small business, yadda yadda. But she gets a free pound of coffee every week, thus aiding in my newfound love for and addiction to Starbucks (not to mention Starbucks gives tons of people jobs with good benefits, but I digress). So, last night I visited her at work, and to my pleasant surprise the very stylish "travel mug" that I have had my eye on for quite some time was on sale! Only $5.49! But with Bonnie's employee discount, it came out to $4.19. A steal of a deal, obviously. Below is a picture of my cute new mug:

After grinding my free beans this morning, and brewing a tasty pot of heaven, I poured the coffee into my new mug, added a splash of hazlenut goodness, and was out the door. I got to the car, tossed in my belongings, and attempted to place the mug in my cupholder. The mug does not meet qualification #1. Damn.

This cup only meets four of the six qualifications. It does not fit the cupholder, nor does it have a device for stopping spillage in case of a good tump. But it sure is cute, right? Oh well. The search continues.

3 comments:

Jason Harmon said...

if you would have bought it from an independent coffee retailer, I bet it would meet all the requirements and then some. it'd probably cost at least $8 though... small price to pay for the continuation of non-monopolization.

I do agree with you that Starbucks gives people jobs provides some benefits, props to them for that.

jeff said...

sweet mug

Starbucks coffee is a distinct type of coffee, I miss coffee, Unfortunately I have given it up and have taken up Green Tea in its place, I think your coffee mug it pretty sweet I must say!
Keep enjoying your coffee!!!

Anonymous said...

I bought Ryan that same mug! He loves it. You know, another thing that Starbucks sells are thermoses. The good thing about said thermoses is that they are easy to drink out of (i.e. you don't necessarily have to pour the coffee out into the lid, because they come with a button that opens/closes the lid. make sense?). Those suckers will keep your coffee hot ALL DAY. Trust me. Mine is very stylish, as well. It's pink, but cool pink, not gay, girly pink. I got it around Valentine's Day. Keep your eyes peeled. This is coming from a fellow Starbucks barista (watch out Bonnie).

Good luck in your endeavor.