Monday, October 27, 2008

put it on my tab

Last night I went to dinner at Chez Lulu with Sara and Penny after church. It was a last minute decision, and one that some of us were slightly hesitant about. The moment I walked in the door I knew we had made the right decision - there was an older gentleman playing the accordion in the middle of the restaurant, and one of my favorite Starbucks customers was sitting in the window seat with his wife. I greeted Joel (or Extra Hot, as we call him at Starbucks because he always orders his and his wife's lattes extra hot - and he IS extra hot. Like, the best-looking gray-haired man I have ever laid my looking-balls upon), and then we took a table next to Joe the accordion player. Joe almost immediately asked who the singer was in the group, as I conveniently slipped out of my seat and to the restroom. But he was not deterred - as soon as I returned he was asking me what I wanted to sing (Isn't being a singer a bit like being a comedian? People always saying things like, "Hey, say something funny." Or, "Hey, sing me a song." It's a little uncomfortable). So, I definitely sang Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music tunes with Joe while we waited for our food. Somewhere in the midst of all that, Penny ended up dancing the waltz with another gentleman in the restaurant. Hilarious.

When we finished our meal and were waiting for our tickets, the waitress came over and asked who worked at a coffee shop. I said that I did, and THEN ... she told me that Extra Hot had paid for ALL of our dinners because I give him free coffee (which I did, like, one time)! What?! Another reason for me to love him. It was just like in the movies when a man sees an attractive woman across the restaurant and buys her a drink - except he's old and married, and it didn't have anything to do with attraction. So really, it was nothing like that. But it was still such a nice gesture - chivalrous, even. A nice change.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

garlic soup. accordian player. friends. relaxed dinner. encouragement, and good changes. unexpected free dinner. i don't think it gets any better than this.

Elisa M said...

Man, stuff like that NEVER happened to me when I worked at Starbucks. What a fun night! you are awesome.

kristen said...

What a sweet, unexpected treat. I love Chez Lulu, things like that seem more likely to happen there!

sheena said...

that happened to me and my friends once at a mexican restaurant. we went to pay and the lady was like "its been taken care of...some guy paid for yall" we were like "whaaaa" we had no idea who the guy was and he had already left so we couldnt thank him. it was awesome though.

Carla Jean said...

That is precious. Sounds like a sweet, sweet night.

(PS EVERYBODYFIELDS!!! NEXT WEEK! OH MY GOSH IT'S ALMOST HERE!)

Anonymous said...

what a great story!

Amy said...

seriously, i need to spend more time with you. Stuff like this never happens to me.