Monday, March 22, 2010

a time to mourn, a time to dance

If you've been following this little blog of mine for a while, you know that I have had many ideas and hopes for my future, specifically regarding continuing my education. I have been out of undergrad for five years now ... I actually started writing this thing the day before my graduation. Has it really been five years? That is half of a decade! Kind of depressing.

After considering more options than I'd like to recount, I am finally doing something that feels right. Last week I found out that I have been accepted to Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis to get a Masters in Counseling. I could not be more excited, and I could not be more sad to leave this place that I've called home for the past five years. I love Birmingham. I love the South. It is going to be so, so hard to leave all of the life-giving, beautiful relationships that I have built here. It is going to be hard to leave a church that I love, and that I have invested so much time in - especially when we are in the midst of so much change. Part of me wants to be there to see what God does in our faith family.

But I am so excited about possibility. About learning more about the Word, how to relate to people in light of it, and how to counsel people with the truths of the gospel. I am looking forward to making new friendships, being a student again, and experiencing a new place. I am somewhat nervous about finding a church and diving into community with new people, but also looking forward to it, with all of it's challenges and joys.

If you're the praying type, I ask that you pray for me in this process. That I would trust God with all of the details of getting there and of paying for school, and that I would live the rest of my time here in Birmingham as best I can, soaking in the community that I have here and saying "goodbye for now" with grace and strength.

5 comments:

Casey said...

congrats! so exciting! you're going to have a blast!

MaryMartha said...

yay! I'm so excited for you!
Thats where I was headed when God changed my plans! I'm a little jealous :) I have some contacts if you need some sweet friends...

April Barber said...

We are thrilled for selfish reasons! Can't wait till you get here!

Unknown said...

Wow, this takes me back to "leaving for seminary" days. Lots of mixed emotions. As always, God is faithful and already knows what you have in store. We will be prayer partners for the duration. Love you! B&R

Sarah W K said...

Hi Amanda, this is Sarah Wells, from back at Montevallo days- I've actually kept up with your blog for a while. You are a fantastic writer.

I'm excited for you about your move. I can empathize with you a little...moving from the South to the Midwest- moving to Chicago was one of the biggest life-altering events I've ever experienced.

I hope/pray that your transition is smooth and that you become connected quickly to a spiritual family in St. Louis.