Tuesday, October 10, 2006

birthday cards are stupid

This month brings a lot of birthdays among my group of friends. Unfortunately, this also brings a lot of standing in the card aisle looking at all of the stupid cards. I just returned from my lunch break, where I spent a good 30 minutes in the card aisle at CVS. Why is it that there aren't any cards for people in their twenties and thirties that aren't about birthday cakes setting buildings on fire, or the effects of gravity on body parts. I just don't think that people in their twenties and thirties are quite there yet. But even for the forty and up crowd, it's just a bit ridiculous. At what other point in time is it okay to make fun of a person for getting older? It's kind of like lingerie showers ... at what other time would you give your friends scandalous underwear? It's just weird.

Maybe I've found my calling. I shall write funny and appropriate greeting cards.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll buy from you.

susan said...

Me, too. You could write a card about people who toot. :-)

Su

Anonymous said...

You should try Hallmark Fresh Ink cards. They are funny, sometimes random...I like them.
Speaking of birthday cards, your own birthday is coming up pretty soon, huh? I loved my 25th, my car insurance went down $400/year because you classify as an "adult driver."

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of why birthday cards exist? Part of it might be because we no longer find value in writing a meaningful letter to friends on special occasions. Maybe we've lost our creative knack in spelling out witty comments on a friends date of birth. Whatever it is, birthday cards are [altogether] a strange concept.

But they're free when you send them online.

Amanda said...

Jill - I remeber when we used to send Fresh Ink cards to each other. Those are good. I haven't seen one in a while.

Gene - I considered writing a letter to the people whose births were being celebrated. But somtimes, especially in a guy-girl friendship, letters can come off less "I'm glad you're my friend ... happy birthday" and more "I'm hot for your bod." In that case, I think that a card is probably more suitable. Kind of sad, but true.

And while I do like the idea of free cards online, they just seem a little impersonal. But maybe that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Hey...I dont have an email address on you anymore. Are you related to Brian Hannah? That name rings a bell, but I can't figure out why. I think I might have graduated with a guy with the last name Hannah, but I can't remember.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm gonna email you so that I don't have to leave comments on your birthday card blog. Yes, I heard he was in a wreck close to where we lived on Flatwoods Road. I was trying to piece together where I would have heard that name before. I know I graduated with a Hannah person, but I can't remember his first name...old age is not being kind to me.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!