Tuesday, July 3, 2007

new tunes

I always love to find new female singer/songwriters whose albums stay in my cd player long enough to annoy repeat riders in my car. For the past few weeks, Brandi Carlile has been that artist. Apparently, I'm a little behind on this, because when I perused her website it appeared that she's been all over the place - VH1, Leno, covers of magazines. Maybe that's because I don't have cable. And I can't read or write.

I heard her live on Reg's Coffeehouse a few weeks back, and thought that she was a little over-the-top folk for my taste, but the lyrics were great. I didn't really think much about it again, until I saw her newest album, The Story, on sale at Target for ten bucks. I can't resist new music for ten bucks.


The album is far from over-the-top folk. There are several songs that straight rock out, and some really beautiful ballads. It took a few songs to get used to the weird flippy thing she does with her voice (which is sometimes a little overdone and a bit painful, and is surely doing damage to her vocal folds). But overall, her voice is smooth and strong, a mixture of folk, twangless country, and yodeling (the flippy thing). Her songwriting is fantastic. I recommend the album, and look forward to checking out some of her previous work. I like her as much as is appropriately possible.

No comments: