Friday, December 21, 2007

life in the details, christmas edition


This has been one heck of a December. I have never been to so many parties in my life, and for the first time in years I can say that I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have spent time with many good friends, and have seen how incredibly blessed I am to be where I am at this point in my life. So, to all you kids out there ... Merry Christmas. I love you guys.


There is always a flip side, a side that the happiness and hopefulness of Christmas brings to light. Much like Advent - the period of waiting and longing for a Savior - there are longings that are exposed and a emptiness that can't be immediately filled. Among the gifts and the parties and the lights lurks the desire, for me at least, for Something. A family of my own, a Christmas Eve like we used to have when I was a kid, when Pawpaw played Santa Claus, and Memaw made Pink Ladies, and we left tepid Christmas party leftovers for Santa, and we strung silver tinsel all over the tree and gathered around for its first lighting. Nights when I couldn't sleep and mom would sit with me in front of the glowing tree in our living room, days learning to ride new bikes without training wheels with Dad, Christmas Eve services at church when everyone had their own little candle and filled the sanctuary with their voices. Christmases that didn't include sorrow and nursing homes and death and underlying family contentions.


But even in those things I am thankful. For a Baby who came, and Man who lived and died for me. For a God who knows my longings and sees the pain that this season sometimes brings, and who bids me come to Him.



Rest. Joy. Peace on Earth. Amen.


No comments: