Wednesday, February 27, 2008

boys + girls

My friend Kristen* recently turned me on to listening to sermons online from Mars Hill Church in Seattle. I've never been one to listen to many online sermons, but I can't get enough of this guy - particularly the "Religion Saves" series, in which they took questions from their members and online viewers and then tackled the nine most popular ones.

All of them have been very good so far, especially these three: Dating*, Sexual Sin*, and Birth Control*.

The sermon on dating is EXCELLENT. If you are a single Christian man, ... listen to it. If you know a single Christian man who does not have "The Gift" ... make him listen to it. It was encouraging and frustrating at the same time. Dating among Christian people really does happen, apparently. It hasn't been true in my life or many of my single friends' lives for quite some time, but it does happen. So that was encouraging. But it was frustrating to hear how so many Christian men are cowards in this area (he says that - don't get mad at me). As a Christian woman, I am to be pursued. And I want that. But, believe it or not, women also "burn with passion" and want to get married. But we can't do anything about it until someone comes to us. That kind of sucks, and it's one of those things that doesn't make me very happy with God. But I know that it is best, and I wait for the man he sends that will pursue and adore and treasure me.**

Husband - get it in gear. For the love.

* Sometimes with this new layout you can't tell where I have links. These* are links.

** Note: I do not believe, or am trying not to believe, that marriage will make me happy. That is a lie.

8 comments:

Meighan said...

Mandie, I've already told you there will be a man who will realize how wonderful you are and will sweep you off your feet and if they don't realize it they're crazy. You just have to wait it out. I know it's hard but you can do it. When the time is right you and he will know it. You are a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent person who deserves only the best. I believe there is someone out there that will bring you great happiness and treasure your wonderful mind. No joke, Mandie, I really do believe this for you.

Elisa M said...

I do not believe, or am trying not to believe, that marriage will make me happy. That is a lie.
YES, there are so many people who need to hear that. Even married people.
This was a refreshing post.

Anonymous said...

Is this the same guy who does the NOOMA videos? We watched several of those in my Sunday School one morning and they were FAB.

As an aside, I think that you have to be somewhat active in finding a mate. You can't just sit at home and expect someone to show up at your door. (Not that you seem to be doing that.) You do have to put yourself out there and play the game, even if it's just a teeny bit. I think that gender stereotypes are rather outdated. It's fun to be pursued, but it's also fun to do a little pursuing. (Men like it when you show interest.) You'd be surprised at what you find! (This is how I met my boyfriend and he's the shizzle.)

Amanda said...

meighan - thanks, friend.

elisa - i know, right? it's a hard lie to fight.

anonymous - do i know you? just wondering. i don't know anything about the NOOMA series ... sorry. and i have found that anytime i show interest in a guy they typically stop talking to me. i'm not fishing for pity here, i'm just sayin'.

kristen said...

Glad you dig them. You are very marriageable, bright and fun, for the record. Mandie's Husband, come on down!

You are right about marriage and happiness.

*

Anonymous:
Different guy.
Mars Hill BIBLE in Grand Rapids does Nooma (Rob Bell)
Mars Hill in Seattle is this church (Mark Driscoll)

Anonymous said...

No, you don't know me. I stumbled upon your blog somehow...friend of a friend of a friend, etc I think. I live in the 'Ham as well though and am a year or two older. Love reading your thoughts! I found that I've felt the same way you do about many things, which is neat. Or scary. I can't decide which yet.

Anonymous said...

amen, sister (and elisa too). you should make a PSA.

susan said...

This might terrible to say, and I certainly don't believe for a minute that single people can't be happy. That's stoopid. (I was happy when I was single.)

But, that being said, marriage made/makes me happy.

I can't wait to meet your Butter Biscuit, Mandie.