Sunday, July 6, 2008

life happenings

I've been avoiding writing about this because it makes things a little more official, but I had too much caffeine at dinner and now I can't sleep. So, what the hay ...

For those of you whom I haven't blabbed to yet, I'm going to culinary school. This has been something I've wanted for a long, long time and have been too afraid to commit to. I'm not sure exactly when I'll start (beginning of 2009?), but I am tres excited about it. In a couple of weeks, I will be starting a second job as a barista at Starbucks to save money for the time while I'm in the program. I expect my social life to completely suck for quite a while.

I really need people in my corner ... I'm getting some resistance from the fam, which is discouraging to say the least. I understand their concern about financial issues, but I've got to do what I have to do to do what I want to do (I heard that in a movie tonight. Very inspirational). And what I'm doing now is definitely not what I want to do.

Every time I make a decision, doubt starts to creep in and I wonder if I'm making the right choice. Por ejemplo, last week I thought, "I'll give Birmingham Southern's English program one more look, just to make sure." This is what has kept me from taking action for the past three years. Second guessing, and then second guessing my second guessing. I stay on that emotional treadmill until I'm so exhausted that I can only plop down in my cubicle and do my mind-numbing corporate job. I love to write and I love to cook. But I think with cooking I'd be doing a more active job, which I really want, and not hiding behind a computer screen and isolating myself from people. Cooking is such a community activity. I would get to do what I love - create things that people can enjoy, and that bring people together to share their lives.

So, whenever I start school I'm having you all over to practice on. I hope you're hungry, Interweb.

13 comments:

Angie Davis said...

GO FOR IT!!!!!

I feel like we have similar interests, and I always thought about culinary school. For a time I thought I was glad I didn't do it b/c I realize now that I wouldn't want to be in a restraunt - BUT, in every state I have been in there has been opportunities to be a personal chef (even in B'ham). I had a couple stints at it and LOVED it. I feel like school would have opened more options - and pay. And yes, even if I never had a "real" job with it, what fun!!! For all of life, whatever you do! I do understand though there is much sacrifice in the decision - financial, time, expectations of others, fear of failure, etc. I will pray the Lord will truly lead your decision.

You are also a fabulous writer, and there are still many ways to grow and practice in this w/o school, right?
check out this girls blog: http://thepioneerwoman.com/
Keep me updated. And no worries, I won't think less of you if you change your mind. :)
Oh, I do have another friend going to some fabulous school in NYC next year....hmm.....

Anonymous said...

i'm always hungry.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I think this is awesome. Not that you NEED my endorsement, but I say "go for it!"

jess said...

amanda,
in the little bit that i've gotten to know you at church and through reading your blog, i would say you are one of the most multi-talented people i know! you are a gifted writer, you have an eye for photography, and from the looks of your blog you are a great cook! i say GO FOR IT! if it is your passion, do it! i feel, like angie, that we have similar interests, too. i think what you wrote how cooking gets you with the people is a very valid and wise pro to your choice! can't wait to hear more about it! and i ditto the pioneer woman site...what a great resource!

Bridge said...

Yay, I'm ready to come over for some great food now. I can totally see you in a chef's hat.

jess said...

ok...so my comments are becoming way too long...also wanted to add that i can totally relate to your struggle w/ the expectations of others and where the Lord is leading. i never worked in my major field and took a totally different path after having 2 kids. it's easy to 2nd guess yourself and ask "why couldn't i have known this then?" when things get hard. but, then i realize if i had taken another path earlier i would not have met key people, had certain life experiences, etc. i will pray for your decision and for the details....

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. I think this is fantastic. Like I said last night, (in my experience) it's TOTALLY worth it to sacrifice in order to do what you love. And I think you're a great cook. And I look forward to being a guinea pig for you. And I will plan weekend things that you can do so that you have fun sometimes too.
The end.
Love, a girl in your corner.

Elisa M said...

Consider me in the corner, holding up the water bottle when you need it.
BRAVE-that is what this is. And, to me, Faith is being Brave everyday.
Bring on the food!

Julie-Anne said...

I think that's AMAZING news, Amanda! So fun! You SHOULD be doing what you love. And you know what? You're going to ROCK at it! I am TOTALLY in your corner. Just let me know when dinner is! :)

Abby said...

I'm positive you won't regret this... if only you could convince yourself of that, right? Life is for living!

SMarge said...

Awesome. I understand what it's like to change careers. I did it last year and am so glad I did. It will be worth it. Is that corner big enough for me too?-It seems to me that you've got several peeps excited and supportive!

Anonymous said...

that's so exciting! and so brave. go, Amanda, go!

Anonymous said...

I come by your blog a little and I just wanted to say go for it! I truly believe if you do what you're passionate about you'll be successful and you'll be happy anyway which is more important. What fun... I sometimes think about how much fun it would be to learn how to cook properly too...