Friday, September 26, 2008

i have no face because it has been rocked off

The Avett Brothers show in Tuscaloosa last night was A-MAZING. Theirs is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen - a tie for #1 with Josh Ritter. Even though I saw their show at Workplay last year and they haven’t come out with a new album yet, I was still thoroughly entertained. I really don’t know how they do it - they play for about 1-2 hours straight with such a high energy level. They must crash after their shows. I mean, like walk straight off the stage and fall down from pure exhaustion. Like last time, I giggled through the entire show. Their fusion of punk and bluegrass trips me out. Something about a guy playing the banjo and screaming, and a head-banging cello player just suits my fancy.

This time, however, there was more to giggle at. There were these two dudes in front of us who were BIG FANS. Every time one of their favorite songs would come on, they would turn to each other and point as if to say, “This is our jam!” And then when it was over they would high-five. Sometimes a double high-five. They were major goobers, but very entertaining. They were also oblivious, because we were straight up making fun of them and they never knew.

If you ever get a chance to see The Avetts - DO IT. For real.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but we were with Jamie and Jessica last night, so I think I saw you.

I concur with your assessment. It was one of the best concerts I think I have ever seen. I wish I could have witnessed the two goobs you were talking about (although you might say Jamie and I were goobs...we kept checking the USC/OSU game score on our iPhones when there was a slight lull during concert).

katie said...

you did it!!
i am jealous.

i think i need to see them once a year. at least.

oh, and clay and jamie are goobs (although i actually WATCHED that game last night and it was gripping~ sorry to talk about football on your blog amanda!) to think there is a "LULL" in their concerts~ what?!

jess said...

i knew a good blog post was coming! and i was doubly entertained sitting behind y'all and watching you and sarah make fun of them! they were goobers ;) you and clay both appropriately described the concert...with his facebook status as "getting his butt kicked by the Avett Bros" and your face being rocked off ;-) hehe. it ROCKED!

Elisa M said...

I am sad that you have no face! does it feel weird?

Jessica said...

sweet, classic.... i totally wish i could have joined in on the goober fun...haha

April Barber said...

I'm so jealous....I have a friend here who is just like those goobs about the Avett Brothers.

Anonymous said...

I should clarify the "lull" that I mentioned: switching and tuning instruments. As riveting as switching and tuning is, I found time to sneak a peak at the score!