Thursday, September 25, 2008

radio just got a little less sucky

I have never been one to listen to the radio. The reasons for this are two-fold:
  1. I do not enjoy being yelled at by the folks at Bill Byrd Kia about their two-for-one cars (seriously? how can they sell two cars for the price of one?).
  2. Nickelback, and all other top-40 crap like it that gets played no less than twenty times a day.
For you Birminghamians who may not have heard yet, there's a new, not-crappy radio station in town. This morning on the way to work I heard Damien Rice. Last night, the Avett Brothers. It's a good mix of new, somewhat obscure music and the good stuff from the nineties.

Listen to it. Love it. We'd like to keep it.

5 comments:

jess said...

i'm glad to hear this wasn't a fluke. i nearly had a wreck when i heard what this station was playing when i happened upon it the other day.

Anonymous said...

i never listen to the radio.

i decided to check it out online.

coldplay.
counting crows.
(commercial break)
the shins.
amos lee.

pretty impressive.
commercial breaks still suck.

Anonymous said...

I tell people about this station by saying "I am listening to my radio again after a very long break. Radio is safe again." I love that there is a station that makes me want to find out about artists and buy their stuff. Not so much the case with the other totally sucky stations in our city.
Commercials do still suck, though, and it bugs me that they broadcast football on Saturdays. I don't even know what teams, because I don't care.

Bryan said...

i just checked them out online (i'm in nyc). they do have a nice playlist, but they kept playing lots of crappy mid-to-late 90's alternative. and then there's those commercial breaks.... at least it's better than the other stations.

i've found a station up here that is nearly perfect: WFUV (Fordham University). It's NPR - so no commercials, their music selection is diverse and amazingly good. they have regular live performances by people like jackson browne, bright eyes, joseph arthur, etc... it's ashame you can't tune to it in birmingham - but you can listen online: http://www.wfuv.org/audio/stream.html

if your geeky enough you could probably get your iphone to stream it while in your car too...

Amy said...

yes! Erin Wright introduced me to this. I love it.