Thursday, November 20, 2008

have yourself a merry little christmas survey

I know, I know. Thanksgiving isn't even here yet. I'm one of those people who gets so excited about the Christmas season that Thanksgiving is just a speed bump on the way. Christmas candy in the store the day after Halloween? Who cares?! Bring it on, I say. And bring on hot chocolate, and warm cookies, and tree decorating, and carol singing, and the glow of white lights in a dark room while you're at it. I love this freaking holiday.

I also love these email surveys that people send around. A little guilty pleasure of mine, much akin to my love for filling out forms (just the other day at the eyeglasses store I was filling out paperwork and the guy decided I didn't need to. I filled it out anyway, just for kicks. Oh, and my new glasses are super awesome - maybe you'll get a picture soon).

So, here it is ... the Christmas survey. One week before Thanksgiving. I'm not much for tagging folks, but I'd love to see your answers, too.

  1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. Gift bags say, "I don't have time for you." No offense, gift bag people.
  2. Real tree or Artificial? Fake - there was once a mishap with bugs that ended with having no tree on Christmas morning. Sad, sad day.
  3. When do you put up the tree? As soon as I have time after Thanksgiving.
  4. Do you like eggnog? No. The word "nog" should never have been invented.
  5. Favorite gift received as a child? Barbie mansion.
  6. Hardest person to buy for? Dad. There is only so much golf paraphernalia in the world.
  7. Easiest person to buy for? My brother - he just tells me what he wants and I buy it. I do the same for him ... but we always act surprised.
  8. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes ... it is a Willow Tree set and I LOVE it. One of my sheep lost a leg in a tragic yoga accident last year.
  9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Neither, though I'd like to change that this year. Probably won't happen.
  10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? A musical porcelain clown.
  11. Favorite Christmas Movie(s)? Elf, Bridgett Jones' Diary (1&2), The Holiday, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, That movie where Hugh Grant is the Prime Minister.
  12. When do you start shopping? About 2 weeks before the Big Day, unfortunately.
  13. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? That porcelain clown (not really).
  14. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cornbread Dressing.
  15. Favorite Christmas song? Come Thou Long Expected Jesus.
  16. Travel at Christmas or stay home? "Travel" to Tuscaloosa.
  17. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Yes. But I hate Santa. Lying to children is cruel.
  18. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star.
  19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Both!
  20. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? The guilty feeling you get when you don't give the bell-ringers any money.
  21. Favorite ornament theme or color? I'm digging a combo of light blue, avocado green, red, and brown this year.
  22. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Sweet Potato Casserole. It's a side dish. It's a dessert. What's not to love?
  23. What do you want for Christmas this year? A bonus.

Oh yeah, if you have a favorite Christmas tradition, I was asked by my mother to come up with some new ones since our family has changed so much over the past five years. So far, my only suggestion is a Christmas Eve bonfire. Because I'm a pyro.

5 comments:

Elisa M said...

Love Actually.

that is the Hugh Grant Movie, which is my fav Christmas movie

Charlene said...

You know what the biggest holiday time-waster is? This:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/static/sweeps/myholiday/ecard.html

And...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTAxNxDd5I

Anonymous said...

I love this sentence: "One of my sheep lost a leg in a tragic yoga accident last year." Please elaborate.

I like the Xmas Eve bonfire idea.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the tragic yoga accident. Those dang sheep should have learned their lesson in pilates.
Come thou long expected Jesus has been my favorite so far this year. Thank you, RMC and your ridiculous talent when it comes to music.
Also, sorry about that porcelain clown.

Amy said...

Dang it. CK beat me to it. The words "tragic yoga accident" brought several images to mind... all ridiculously youtubable. I would love to see you reinact it.