Tuesday, May 19, 2009

going veggie*

There has been a big change in my life since I last posted. In the past couple of weeks, I have made the decision to adopt a vegetarian diet, something that I have been considering for a little over a year. There are many reasons for this change, but listing them here would seem like a campaign of sorts … and I don’t want to be one of those vegetarians (even though I have a propensity toward persuasion). But if you’re a guessing sort of person, you are probably guessing correctly.

I had mentioned to my mother in a text message the other day that I am now a vegetarian, and didn’t get much response from her. I talked to her last night and clarified the statement. It went a little something like this:

“Mom, I am a vegetarian.”
“You mean my little chicken eater isn’t going to eat meat anymore?”
“Yes, that’s what I mean.”
“Forever?”
“Yes, forever.”

We went on to discuss how I wasn’t going to eat turkey at Thanksgiving, but how that didn’t mean I couldn’t eat at all at family gatherings. This is going to be interesting.

If anyone has any pointers for a new vegetarian, feel free to leave them in the commets section. Unless you’re going to be a tool and say something like, “You should it meat because it is delicious.”


*Yes, this is almost the exact same post I put on Recession Diet, but I felt the need to share it here.

2 comments:

susan said...

You are going to really toot it up until your body gets used to all of the fiber that non-animal protein sources tend to have. And then you will have the sexiest colon in town.

This is something that PETA might not tell you, but it is true Mandie. But it doesn't last forever.

My security word is uteruses. How appropriate.

CK said...

while you're at our house you should totally try some recipes from The Grit restaurant cookbook. it's one of my favorite places to eat in Athens, GA, and their recipes translate well to the kitchen. yummiest veggie food ever.