Saturday, February 18, 2006

Does anybody see me?

Last night I was supposed to get together with some friends that I spent last summer with. It was going to be an intimate gathering of people, which is always better, in my opinion, for catching up with people that you haven't seen in a long time. One of the guys decided to change the plans and redirect our "party" to a different restauraunt to meet more people. The thing is, I had been working on getting everyone's schedules worked out and finding a date to get together since the beginning of January. I sent out e-invitations to people. It was official. They all rsvp-ed. We were set to go, except that in the end I was the only one planning to show up at the original location. To make it even worse, we originally planned on meeting at 7:00, and the plans were changed to 6:30. So when they called to inform me that the plans had changed, I had just gotten out of the shower. Perfect. Once I finally got there, I was sitting nowhere near the people that I really wanted to catch up with, and they were more interested in talking to the other people there, so I wouldn't have really been able to talk to them if I wanted to. It was frustrating, to say the very least.

I felt devalued. Overlooked. Like no one saw me ... like they didn't care to spend time with me from the beginning, so they just changed the plans to be with people they really wanted to see.
It made me thankful for the handful of friends that I have who care enough about me to really see me ... to ask how I'm doing even if they just saw me yesterday. I'm finding that those kinds of friends are really hard to come by.

No comments: