Friday, March 14, 2008

museum mayhem

Have you ever been pleasantly surprised and weirded out at the same time? I have.

Last night, I ate, drank, looked at art, and danced at the museum. Surrounded on the dance floor by people I didn't know, most of whom were age 40 and over. It was like the dreaded Art on the Rocks events, but with a much smaller, much older crowd. It looked a little bit like this:

Oh yeah ... it was definitely a work conference.

The same people who, mere hours earlier, were walking around in their suits talking about marketing and business were now shaking it in front of a cover band doing "Apple Bottom Jeans," Bud Lights in hand. I have never seen so many middle-aged people take it low. I mean looowww - like, much lower than I can take it as a twenty-something. And at one point, a man pulled a harmonica out of his conference bag and started jamming with the band. That was pretty awesome (I am a sucker for a man with a harmonica. Especially if he is wearing funky glasses, a suit, and sneakers).

It is times like these when I think, "My job kicks so much ass."

4 comments:

Carla Jean said...

HILARIOUS.

Although I must say, I'm rather anticipating AOTR. I'm typically not much on the see-and-be-seen scene (ha) but that I love it. As long as I arrive armed with a good friend, I'm set.

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much more fun than Art on the Rocks. The times I've been, everyone just seemed to be trying SO HARD to impress everyone else. Once I went before meeting the boyfriend and left feeling so depressed and unworthy. Felt like I wasn't pretty enough, sexy enough, and all those other things society wants women to be. I should know better, but sometimes it gets the best of me. Bah!

Jessica H. said...

Funny.....I wish I had been there!

G. Twilley said...

I love when my working peeps mix with a drinking environment. We had a holiday party at a bar an watched a magician with the last name, "Manlove." He was married though...